Updated: Apr 29, 2021
Self-confidence is key to success.
It makes you believe in yourself, your intelligence, and your abilities. It gives you the courage to try new things and find solutions. It also makes other people notice, admire, and be drawn towards you.
With a healthy dose of self-confidence, you can be a leader, a mentor, or an influencer. You can help, guide, and inspire other people. You can be anything as well as do anything that you set your mind to.
However, true confidence can only stem from self-efficacy.
What Is Self-Efficacy and Why Is It Important?
The term “self-efficacy” was first coined by Albert Bandura, a social cognitive psychologist and Professor Emeritus at Stanford University.
Self-efficacy refers to the belief in one’s capabilities to organize and execute the actions that are necessary in managing prospective situations. In essence, it is your belief in your own ability to succeed in particular situations.
Note that your beliefs determine the way you feel, think, and behave.
Generally, individuals with a strong sense of self-efficacy:
· Are not afraid to face and overcome obstacles and challenges
· Regard complex problems as tasks to be mastered
· Quickly recover from disappointments and setbacks
· Take their activities and interests seriously
· View failures as results of external circumstances
Conversely, individuals with a weak sense of self-efficacy:
· Often become disheartened when things start to get rough
· Do not think that they are capable of doing difficult tasks and overcoming challenging situations
· Tend to avoid anything that is out of their comfort zone
· Focus on negative results
· View failures as results of internal weaknesses
When you have a strong sense of self-efficacy, you become motivated, determined, and confident. Your self-confidence, by way of your self-efficacy, affects the way you perform as well as your level of satisfaction with your decisions.
This is an excerpt from “How to Win In Life Mini Workbook: Start with Small Steps (that actually work) to Achieve Success — The NO BULLSH*T Guide”.
Through this book, you will learn how to create a plan that is simple enough to be doable yet complex enough to be impactful. You will be given practical suggestions and instructions that can help you get started on your journey to achieving success and winning in life. The tips and exercises in this book are also suitable in this time of pandemic.